Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Wishes, Knowledge and Thanksgiving

My mother-in-law was in and out of the hospital at the end of May, so I didn't have the time, energy or creativity to post with any kind of regularity.  Here are a few thoughts that have been floating around in my mind:

I WISH...
* allergies, diabetes and heart conditions weren't such a part of daily life
* sickness and hospitalizations weren't necessary
* friends didn't have to hurt
* I didn't forget things, neglect things, waste things


BUT I KNOW...
* God loves me and you and those I love
1 John 3:1a, 2, 16, 4:10, 16, 19:  How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God!  And that is what we are!  ...This is how we know what love is:  Jesus Christ laid down his life for us.  And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers...This is love:  not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins...And so we know and rely on the love God has for us.  God is love.  Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him... We love because he first loved us.

* God has a plan for salvation that shines above our earthly challenges
Ephesians 2:4&5 - But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions - it is by grace you have been saved.
John 14:6 - Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through me.
I Corinthians 15:3&4 - For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance:  That Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures.

* I can call to God:  He hears and cares
Psalm 34:4, 8, 15, 18 - I sought the LORD, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears...Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him... The eyes of the LORD are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their cry...The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

AND I'M THANKFUL FOR...
* celebrating 17 years of marriage
* finding a major counter top kitchen appliance, a clay roaster and a fondue pot for $26.75 and a husband who was equally excited about the finds and the money saved
* being more mature
* medical coverage, allergy meds, insulin, appropriate and kind medical care
* a smoke free hospital and the memories of an incident some seven years ago when one of my daughters asked, "Is that the smoker nurse?"  after hearing her parents complain about the overbearing smoke odor of the OB nurse
* a loving God who created and sustains me
* family fun and Mother's Day pampering
* a sister who lives near a lake and offered a few hours of escape
* close proximity to most grandparents
* beautiful summer weather

Happy June!  What are you thankful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment