Tuesday, April 16, 2013

It's Raining, It's Pouring!

It's spring!  It's raining!  I spend time outside in the rain.  My girls walk to school - rain, shine, snow or mud.

I thought it'd be fun to share a few observations about rain gear.

1) Few people can successfully use umbrellas.  Children are not usually among those few. Hats are safer  - for everyone.

2) Rain boots help keep ones pants dry.  Rain coats or water proof jackets help keeps ones arms dry.  Legs might not be so lucky, or backsides.  I am reminded of a time when I was young and visited Niagara Falls with my grandpa and other relatives.  We rode on the Maid of the Mist.  We wore rain coats as we rode under the Falls.  Everything under the coat stayed dry, but I had a lovely ring of water on my backside when I stood up.  I was mortified, but my grandpa assured me I would be okay and my shorts would dry.  They did.

3) Snow pants are not necessarily water proof against pouring rain.

4) If you don't wear boots and you have to sit on the floor with wet feet, you might get wet pants.

5) If you don't wear boots, you might kick water and mud up onto the back of your legs. 

6) Puddles are fun to jump in.  I am not a fan of jumping in mud however because mud gets down inside the boots and is hard to clean out.

7) Bikes in the rain?  This is a frequent debate.  My solution:  when it is drizzling on and off, bikes are allowed but a drying rag kept in the backpack is strongly encouraged.  I wouldn't want to sit on a wet bike seat, but the kids don't seem to mind. 

My mornings have been a little rough with all the recent rain.  First it's hard to get up when it's dark and rainy.  Second, it's hard to dress professionally and figure out how to stay dry while working outside as a Crossing Guard.  But those minor difficulties aside, I like the rain.  The grass is nice and green, flowers are growing and the ground is being prepared for a future vegetable garden.  Dress smartly for the weather and enjoy the rain!

No comments:

Post a Comment